Saturday, August 21, 2010

If you give it to her she will use it

In Field of Dreams the voice says, “If you build it, he will come”. I have carried this over to new ends and said, “If you give it to her she will use it”.


My youngest daughter, who hates to be mentioned in these pages and usually is, is a great baker. I was always a pretty good cook, and early in my life I learned to cook and taught my boys to do the same. When I was married to my second wife she took over the cooking duties most of the time, and I am relegated to a few items, eggs, Asian food, barbeque and an occasional Jewish ethnic dish that I clearly grew up with where my wife grew up with things like Welch Rarebit!

She has taught my daughters to cook and bake, and I have baked very few things in my life and they are not memorable. Sure, I can follow a recipe as good as the next guy, but I’m no natural. My daughter is. The one thing we noticed we were missing all these years was a Kitchen Aid Mixer. We have a small, hand held mixer which has been fine for most things, but when you need a dough hook, etc., you need a serious mixer. Kitchen Aid is the one to buy, and we finally did it.

On Monday last week in my story about Lothar Hoffman, I said, “I was dropping my daughters off at Mapleview Mall in Burlington, ON so they could go shopping on Sunday, and I decided to stay for a while and shop a bit, have lunch and kill some time rather than go home and have to do some pressing clean up thing I didn’t want to do in the first place, so I stayed. I shopped a bit at Sears and looked around at other stores, and off I went to the food court for a Thai lunch”.

I never mentioned that Sears had a sale on a Kitchen Aid mixer, and they kept giving me discounts, and they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. When Sears sold off their credit card business they cancelled all non performing cards (mine hadn’t been used in a few years) without telling us they did it. However, I had to reapply for the card (less than two minutes at a register) and they gave me a $10 credit. Then, when I purchased the mixer, I rubbed out a patch on a card and got another $20 discount. This was a good day to shop!

I came home and opened the mixer and it sat on the counter all week while we all were at work. Last night, a Friday night, I was asleep ion the couch “watching” television my daughter got busy. The mixer was out and had been running. We have raspberry topped brownies, and they are spectacular!

And as I said,” If you give it to her she will use it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment