Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fathers Day Cookoff

In 1994 or '95, I entered the Calgary Herald’s Father’s Day BBQ Recipe Contest. The requirements were that you enter a favorite recipe and include a statement about being a Dad, or a letter from one of your kids (I think) about your being their Dad. My girls being young, and my boys being old and away, I chose to write the letter myself. I also made up a recipe, and I am good at this stuff. I knew what to write and what kind of recipe would catch the judge’s attention. I wasn’t sure I could win (I didn’t), but I thought I could get to be a finalist (I was).


In my letter I wrote:

On Being a Dad


I may not be the best, nor the smartest, but I may be one of the most experienced Dads around. My children include three wonderful sons, all grown up and away. Cliff, 31, lives with his wife in Washington, D.C.; Brian, 29, lives with his wife in Chicago and Josh, 26, lives with his girlfriend in San Diego. My two wonderful daughters are too young to write this letter. Rosie, 3 and Lilly, 1, live with us in Calgary.


I have had the opportunity to raise children as a very young father and as a very old one. The times may be different, the gender has changed, but the thrill and the pleasures remain the same. While a person may be known as many things; their vocation, their profession, their volunteer activities, I think of myself foremost as a father. I’ve had so much experience.

My recipe was designed for this contest so it would spark the judges imagination by its title more than its ingredients.

Rum and Coke Pork Ribs (Cuba Libre Ribs)

3 lbs. pork ribs

3/4 cup Coca Cola (or any cola drink)

3/4 cup Dark or Medium Rum (Southern Comfort ,Scotch or Bourbon will do)

1 1/2 Tablespoon Molasses

1 1/2 Tablespoon Honey

1 1/2 Tablespoon Maple or Pancake Syrup

4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce

3 Cloves Crushed Garlic

1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon

1 Teaspoon Salt

1/2 Teaspoon Pepper

Marinate ribs in the refrigerator 3-4 hours. Put in a baking pan, with marinade, cover with foil and place in a preheated oven at 400 (F) for 45 minutes.

Place on BBQ grill, sprinkle with paprika, salt, pepper and cinnamon, and grill for 15-20 minutes to finish.

Serve with the following dipping sauce:

2 oz. cola

2 oz. rum (or other whiskey)

2 T soy sauce

3 T catsup

1 1/2 t rice vinegar

1 1/2 t sugar

1 T honey

1 T syrup

1 T molasses

1 T cornstarch

2 T water

heat and stir dipping sauce until it thickens. Serve with ribs.



There we gathered, a ragtag group of fathers and mothers and children on a nice, bright day in Calgary. We had a bunch of hot grills, our ingredients and off we went. We each made enough for about four persons, and we had a sort of time limit to complete.

There was a woman and her female friend in the contest, and they were an illegal entry. The woman lied about her husband being away and unable to make the Barbeque, as she was overheard by me discussing this with her friend. He was away, but he had no idea how to cook, it was a ruse to get to win the top prize, a $1,000 Weber Barbeque. This was unfair, and as we had the chance to taste all the contestants food, there were better items in the contest (better than mine for sure) but given presentation skills (not a guy thing), she won the day.

The losers all got cook books and an assortment of barbeque tools, so it was a fun day. I can no longer remember the winning entry, but someone made an incredible Hawaiian dish that won on looks, in a very Hawaiian setting, and there was a big, stuffed hamburger that was fantastic.

My ribs are good, but served on a plate with sauce and salad, they were not “show stoppers”.

I did resent the winning entry (I know you know) but saw no advantage in making a big deal about it until now, as all involved may be gone, or certainly will never see this page, although I stand by my assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment