Sunday, August 29, 2010

Coffee


I drink a lot of coffee. Way too much I’ve been told, but I intersperse coffee with diet soda plus alcoholic drinks usually, in the evening. This is, as you can see, not a healthy lifestyle choice. Alas, it’s mine.


My old friend Ken Davids who I mentioned I believe in my John Updike obituary, is the founder and editor of Coffee Review, a great place on the web to learn all about coffee and its many nuances. It’s way above me but a good spot to view. Go to http://www.coffeereview.com/ and enjoy yourself.

We mostly bought coffee for the last ten years from Fortino’s grocery store where we would grind it ourselves and had a chance to mix various blends. After many years it became boring and seemed to lose its aura. The solution was a simple change to Starbucks, the easy choice. We all go to Timmy’s (Tim Horton’s) in Hamilton of course, as it’s their home. However, I always would go to Starbucks when I had a chance.

I said that the price was no object, and I forgot about the $7.99 a pound at Fortinos and went to $15-$20 a pound at Starbucks. This has lasted for two years, and one day, bitching about the cost, I ran out of coffee and it was early in the morning and I had to go somewhere and buy something and there was no Starbucks open that early around here.

I drove through Tim Horton’s and bought a 13 ounce can of their coffee. I have to admit it, I have been buying it for the last few months and it’s cheap ($6 for the can) and good.

So, to my good buddy Ken Davids, I’m sorry. I’m sticking with Tim’s for a while with an occasional Starbucks thrown in if I’m in the neighborhood.

http://www.coffeereview.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment