Monday, August 23, 2010

Art Decisions

My daughter is off again to Montreal on the weekend, ready for year two at McGill University. This year, she has, along with two friends, moved into an apartment. They chose not to be in the “university ghetto” but moved a bit away so they could live with “regular people” but still close enough to walk or use public transportation.


She is getting ready to move furniture, and she and her mother are driving a U-Haul truck up. Sears will deliver the mattress, box spring and frame next week. They are all (my wife and my daughters) at IKEA right now supplementing the “antiques” etc. we already have to go. Her friend left two sofas there she got from her sister who was living in Montreal. My daughter and friends have already spent a night or two there a few weeks ago as we start paying (of course) in July. It’s a twelve month lease. I’ll probably live there in May and June when she comes home, if she does. (Not really)

Her two friends are from Virginia and New York, I guess not surprisingly, as she tends to gravitate to US students. She purposefully chose not to live with music school students as she felt one was enough (her) per apartment. Her friend from Vienna, Virginia was born in Vienna, Austria, so maybe she’s sort of an American.

The art decision took me by surprise. She came to me and wanted four pieces, and asked if she could have them. Of course she could, I was flabbergasted! The fact that art has surrounded her, her whole life did not give me a thought that she would want any. Besides, sooner or later it becomes hers anyway.

Her sister is pissed! She wants it all back, at least most of it. She wants nothing to leave! It amazes me what someone wants around here. If my sister wants it, it’s mine! They clothes shop in each others closets!

Her choices are:

Will Barnet’s “Blue bike”, a large, signed, limited edition poster.



World War One - Liberty Bond Drive Poster


Andy Warhol’s limited edition 1981 poster featuring Kimiko Powers’s image.

















My painting from 2001, Casper Returns, also large at 48” x 48” (This one was requested by my daughters roommate from New York, so I don’t want to ask if my daughter wanted it, but I doubt it)



Wonders never cease! I am always amazed by life!

No comments:

Post a Comment