Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Dinner to Remember


I was at a meeting in Los Angeles, sometime in the 80’s, and as I came into the lobby after a presentation I ran into Marge Levy maybe at Michigan, probably before she went to Pilchuck in Seattle. She had made reservations at The Rex in LA for dinner for four people, none of whom was named. Was I interested? Of course I was, and we gathered together two others and off we went. I had no idea where we were going or what kind of a restaurant it was; only that she did say it was a bit pricey.


The dinner, as I remember, was wonderful. Pretty Woman wasn’t shot until 1990 so you can imagine the surprise I had when watching the movie and I saw them sitting at the same table (approximately) that we were, although the waiter was different, as ours was not, as far as I know, an actor. This scene includes the "escargot event"

When the bill came, some of us were on expense accounts and some were on per diam. We all received copies (at our request) of the bill. I expensed my portion as dinner for as if it were for four, it was the only way one could spend that much money for one dinner!

Pretty Woman's budget was not limited and producers could acquire as many locations as possible for shooting on the films estimated budget of $14 million. The majority of the film was shot in Los Angeles, California, specifically in Beverly Hills. The escargot restaurant called 'The Voltaire' was filmed at the Rex, now called Cicada. Cicada can be open to shoot your next film as well, they say:

Film Shoots and Photo Sessions

The Oviatt Penthouse provides a uniquely dramatic atmosphere for fashion shoots, wedding photography, commercials and feature films.

The Oviatt Building lobby and elevators, both historic landmarks of considerable beauty, are also available for location work.

Rates are determined on an individual basis, based on the length of the shoot, amount of equipment, number of participants and the degree of involvement of Oviatt Penthouse staff.

A comment in a L.A. restaurant review blog says: Rex was Italian food; Cicada is not. It is still one of the most beautiful, elegant restaurants in Los Angeles, but it is hugely expensive. Unless you're Brad Pitt or Jennifer Aniston, it's the type of place you'd go for a truly once-in-a-lifetime dining experience. I had my one-time experience a few years ago, so I don't really remember what kind of food Cicada serves. I just remember it wasn't Italian and it was delicious. I also recall that the old haberdashery shelves are still in evidence.

Another person said: the late Rex, was in a former menswear store (Oviatt Building). I think it changed hands and names once or twice after the owner died.

This was definitely a great LA experience.

Editors note, 8:30 p.m. Sunday, August 22, 2010

I just heard from my dear old friend George, who reminded me that he was there as well that

weekend. But his stories are very complex. I wrote to him and said: "As well, I write these simple

little ditties without much subtext and you do labyrinthine complexities. I like that. You always

got into these complex events, while I sat simple minded on the ground. It doesn't change and that

makes me comfortable.

Note: I may have just described myself as the Fool on the Hill, what the hell, it fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment