Thursday, August 19, 2010

Not Another Accident!

Here I was, an innocent victim of my own stupidity I guess. I went to the Optometrist’s office for my annual checkup. As you age, they tend to look at you more often. Now many of you may know from reading this blog regularly, that our Optometrist is my next door neighbor, and he does see me a lot anyway. However, this was a special visit.
My regularly scheduled visit coincided with a Special Board meeting we called at school, and while I didn’t want it to work out that way it did. This meant that I had to have my pupils dilated and go home, make dinner and go to a meeting, blind! When my pupils dilate, it’s very hard to focus, and sunglasses are a must for several hours, even in a meeting.

After driving home, stopping to pick up dinner etc., I remembered I had forgotten to pick up candy for my meeting. Ten years ago when I came here I realized they had nothing to eat at the meetings and candy was a great meeting enhancer. Most people never get candy and love when it appears at no insistence from them. Eating is not cheating when you don’t buy it! I have been known for my creative candy choices, plus a few other snack items thrown in as well.

I went to the Bulk Barn before I got to school, and parked at the University Plaza in Dundas to get my candy. I parked next to a handicapped space, and there is a bent up sign designating this space. I am basically unable to see in bright light and its 7:00 p.m. and I’m looking into the setting sun!

After getting my candy I pull forward and turn to my left to turn around and the sign is on my left and as I look into the sun I can’t see it! The back of the sign is to me. I scrape it along my right side and hear the paint peeling away on my new car and I die! The Queen Mary is wounded! What will I do!

After the meeting in sunglasses, I drove home and looked as carefully as I could. This morning I went to a car repair place and discussed it with him. He explained we can do one of two things. First we can pull off the two panels and repaint them, or we can use a small brush and build up layers of paint and in the end wet sand the finish down to even and it will look fine.

The first choice will be $1600 to $1700. The second choice will be $65 to $70. Lets see……

I started building up layers myself this evening, since I have touch up paint and am pretty good with a brush myself. My new car is four years old, so the paint is not new, and black is black (quoting the car guy), and most black car paint looks the same as most other black car paint.

I’m feeling pretty good about the whole fiasco but I have been so careful with this car after my last one looked like a bumper car when I was through. I will continue to be careful and stay away from Optometrists!

No comments:

Post a Comment