Monday, May 24, 2010

Not another one!

“Oh no, another IKEA piece of furniture, where is there enough room in your house?” my oldest son exclaimed on the phone a few minutes ago.


I admit I keep writing about pieces of IKEA furniture stuffed in here. However, this is replacing things that will leave. My youngest daughter’s new room (new floor, new bed etc.) needed a new dresser, and we went with a Hemnes dresser from IKEA. I will admit that my household furnishings are made up of antiques (not just used stuff) and IKEA. This is called eclectic, or as I used to call it “Early Halloween”!

My three sons learned to cook from me, and my daughters have learned to make IKEA furniture, they already know how to cook. I hope the girls are as good at understanding the pictographs IKEA produces as the boys are ay cooking.

My daughter basically built the body and I built the drawers. We don’t work together as a team that well, and we have so little space to work in that it’s often easier to work alone together.

We built the piece in my bedroom, clearing out a space, moved the body to her bedroom, and brought in the drawers as finished. My oldest daughter went to New York this morning so we had some building room available. We had a bit if space to spread out.

The two boxes weighed 134 pounds, and I believe it was one box at 34 and the other at100! I carried up the first one and opened up the second at brought it up in stages. When I brought it home from the store, the guy on the loading area helped me get it into the car, and my wife and I struggled to get it into the garage.

I think we may be done for a while with IKEA building, however, I see a ceiling fixture waiting for me to install and I always worry that they have some uniquely Swedish way of wiring things which will test the limits of expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment