Thursday, May 27, 2010

Embezzelment is a just four syllable word...

Years ago I was working at a school where we had a questionable young guy working with us. He was a business guy, with a title, and I have no idea what his job was.
He prepared bills etc. for the Vice President for Business, who in turn passed these on to the President for check signing.

OK, it seems to me (and it did then) that there were too many business guys for our institution, but then I sound like all the people who have worked with me who are sure I have too many “business guys”.(Of course, some of these guys are women.)

It also meant, I think, that he ordered stuff for the school. Departments usually ordered some of their own stuff, with permission, but often the business guy did that and was the one who gave permission and kept budgetary records. I guess he had other responsibilities; he ordered, and he processed. I imagine we had clerks in there somewhere but it was so many years ago and I wasn’t that interested in anything that didn’t pertain to me directly.

One day the Vice President was handing the carefully prepared bills and checks over to the President when the President stopped and sat back. “What is this?” he said, staring at a Sears’s bill in his hand. “Why it’s the Sear’s bill,” said the Vice President for Business.

In fact it was a Sears’s bill for several thousand dollars, because it included a new tractor for lawn cutting.

“But we don’t have a lawn!” said the President, who wasn’t easily fooled.

It seems our business guy with a title had a lawn, however…………

No comments:

Post a Comment