Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's the newspaper again!

Last September 16, I wrote about newspapers. Some of what I said was:

I love to read the paper, not on line, although I do it, but I love to sit and peruse the morning paper. For a while I took the Hamilton Spectator as well as the Globe and Mail. For my American readers, the Globe and Mail is the more liberal national newspaper. For many years it was the only one and it seemed a bit conservative until the National Post came along.

I found that I couldn’t read the two papers, even though I really enjoyed them, but I couldn’t read both and work for a living. I just didn’t have the time. I seldom if ever get to read the paper in the evening, and I hated old news so I didn’t save them up until the end of the week to read. My wife loved them both as well, and the cost seemed a bit much but they were fun.


When I lived in Calgary for a while I read the local paper and the New York Times, but I ended up not knowing what was happening in Calgary and knew a lot about Brooklyn!



In the end, we decided on getting the Saturday Globe and Mail, and I usually saved the reading of it for Sunday, and used the Spectator on Saturday.



I complained once to Dana Robbins, the publisher of the Spectator, that I couldn’t read two papers a day, and he told me he read five! I guess I should have kept my mouth shut!



On Friday I received a letter from the Globe and Mail. They told me that since I was a Saturday only subscriber, they were giving me, free of cost or obligation, six weeks of the daily paper for me to try. Oh, no, here we go again!

Last week, after six or seven moths (from the time of the letter) of being a Saturday only subscriber to the Globe and Mail, I changed from paying every three months to regular payments, where they take a given amount from a credit card every month.

This act, I guess, makes me a “regular” subscriber, or a more “for sure” customer. This caused another reaction, and now, because of my act of devotion, I received another letter from the Globe and Mail. They told me that since I was a loyal Saturday only subscriber, they were giving me, free of cost or obligation, six weeks of the daily paper for me to try!

Now, once again, more paper than we can read, more recycling that we can handle, but such a wonderful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment