Monday, May 17, 2010

From the Kraft Family Kitchen

My wife asked me to make an appetizer for this morning’s brunch. We were having some friends in and I was trying to help. I don’t always get a chance, but today I was able to do a salad dressing (maple syrup dressing, very Canadian) and an appetizer.

The recipe came from the Kraft web site, and had arrived by email. As I was making it, I thought about Ed Herlihy, the voice for so many years of the Kraft Family Kitchen. As I made the food, I had a conversation with Ed, pretending he was giving me instructions.

I looked up information about Ed on Wikipedia, and it said:
Ed Herlihy (August 14, 1909 – January 30, 1999) was an American newsreel narrator for Universal-International. His voice was heard in countless films on every subject, making him one of the best-known voices in broadcast history. He also was a long-time radio and television announcer for NBC, hosting The Horn and Hardart Children's Hour in the 1940s and 1950, as well as doing Kraft commercials on their various TV series during the 1950s through the early-1980s. He was also Jack Paar's announcer on The Tonight Show.

Here’s the recipe and it was great! As you can see, I didn’t peel the cucumbers because it seemed not to need it.

Cucumber Roulades

1 English cucumber, peeled
1/4 cup Philadelphia Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Product
30 g smoked salmon, thinly sliced, cut into 12 pieces
12 sprigs fresh dill

Cut cucumber into 12 thick slices. Use melon baller to scoop out centre of each.

Fill with cream cheese product; top with salmon and dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment