Monday, March 1, 2010

Everyone in Canada must have been watching TV on Sunday

Yesterday, I was on my way home from Toronto at about 4:00 p.m. I had been in earlier in the day to get my daughter and her friend back to the bus station so they could get home to Montréal.

After we dropped them off, we went to the ROM to see the Fakes and Forgeries Exhibit, an interesting look at forgery through the years, from art objects to software. It was small but interactive and then off to the ROM’s Bat cave exhibit for my younger daughter.

After a small Mexican styled lunch we were off to Queen Street West for some shopping. There were free hockey helmets at lulu lemon for customers who made it on the last day of the Olympics. This of course reminded me that we were almost at the start of the grand finale, the gold medal hockey game between the US and Canada.

So, with a song in my heart (it could have been heartburn from the Mexican lunch) we were off to home.

The radio was a disaster in downtown Toronto because the buildings screw up the signal but once we were up on the highway, the radio worked well and we could hear the game.

I was rushing home to let Max out of the crate as well as see the game in big, HD splendor with a beer at my side. I figured, given any Sunday coming home from Toronto, I had an hour to two depending upon traffic.

About half way, at the Ford plant, my wife commented that it seemed a bit light today and I did notice, but wasn’t paying much attention to the road as I was listening to the game. I was almost home when it hit me, no one was driving anywhere! All right, it wasn’t quite the twilight zone, but it was weird. Everyone in Canada must have been sitting somewhere with a brew or two, watching a TV! There was no one around.

I arrived home 45 minutes after I started. This was a new land speed record! It won’t happen again for at least four more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment