Saturday, March 6, 2010

Passing the torch.....

As you get older you begin to worry about what happens to your stuff in the future. Just like your parents, you want homes for everything, and need to know what to leave your kids or what they want.

In my case, my older kids already have everything they ever wanted and certainly don’t want anything I have, except maybe for some nostalgic reasons. I've tried to give away a few things I inherited from my parents to my older kids.

The things I kept from my parents are very few, but the stuff I like the most are small thing no one else would have wanted or cared about. Things like a letter opener she used in the 40’s in her office with her bosses name engraved on the top. I have a small wish broom from the drugstore up the street from our house when I was 3 or 4 years old. It has the drug store name engraved on it’s top.

All this leads up to the fact that my oldest daughter has rented an apartment on Montreal, with friends, and she has made a request for an item from the house. If I could have guessed what she wanted (except for the keyboard, which was really not a problem as we have a piano and was a logical need) I never would have come up with this.

She wants a poster from the first floor bathroom. It’s a WW1 Liberty Loan Poster that I have owned for at least 30 years and never even think about. Her sister and her grandmother are completely opposed to this, with righteous indignation, for fear it will be stolen.

Who cares? It certainly is beautiful, graphic and very American, which may be the point. I can purchase a reproduction but why? It’s just more money and would have to be framed.

As I have said before in this blog, art is seldom stolen, mostly electronics and money disappear. My daughter deserves to get what she wants, and her good tastes need to be rewarded when possible.

It makes me feel really good about the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment