Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lost in Canada

The last time my daughter was home from Montreal we needed to go to Long and McQuade, a major Canadian music store for some quickly needed, emergency instrument repair. Driving out to Burlington, one of the many Long and McQuade music stores, I failed to see the Walkers Line cut off from the QEW highway, and I ended up in Oakville, knowing I was wrong. Foolish though I might have been, I was able to get off the highway at the first Oakville exit and return to Burlington and get to the music store in time.

Now it’s Reading Week, and my daughter is home again. She needed a music book, and waited until this morning to let us know. Long and McQuade had it in stock, and would hold it for us behind the counter.

My wife relentlessly told me the exit is Walkers Line, right after the Guelph Line exit. After ten times I had it down pat. It was emblazoned in my memory. On the way I told my daughter who was making fun of our first excursion, we get off at Walkers Line right after Guelph Line.

And so, I failed to see the Walkers Line cut off from the QEW highway, and I ended up in Oakville, knowing I was wrong. Foolish though I might have been, I was able to get off the highway at the first Oakville exit and return to Burlington and get to the music store in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment