Monday, February 8, 2010

Microwave


During the 1974/1975 school year, I lived with my family near Kansas City. We lived actually in Prairie Village, Kansas but my office was in Kansas City as part of the Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI). I was there to work on a special program, funded by two different grants, to work on the concept of inter reliant curricula between arts institutions. Just saying that makes me tired, and working on it was both a joy and a concern.

While there I first became friendly with Jerry Grove, the Dean of KCAI, and later, in Detroit, he proved to be my boss for nearly 12 years and is still a good friend. It was there, along with tons of great stories, some of which I’ve already told in these pages, that I saw and experienced my first Microwave Oven.

Today you say, no big deal, but in 1974, this was the top kitchen item! It was a restaurant item, not yet really available for home use unless you had, or were willing to put in, a 220 volt line in order to make it work.

For some reason unknown to me now, Jerry and his wife Nancy had one in their kitchen, and it was a hoot! People came from far and wide to see it work. Jerry remeber she paid $450 for it!

So, if you can imagine, we gathered at Jerry’s house, with many interested observers, to watch people bake potatoes! Many carried there own potato!

You were invited to, if you were adventurous, boil water in a cup and you could dip your finger in the water to feel how hot it was!



No comments:

Post a Comment