Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Twilight Zone meets Bob Newhart

This is a photo of me with my parents and grandparents in 1957.

This is kind of like The Twilight Zone, or Alfred Hitchcock meets Bob Newhart, but last night I fell asleep while watching television, which is normal for me I know, but last night something different happened. My wife turned off the TV and went upstairs with my daughter to work on her room while I slept sitting up on the couch. I woke up, not opening my eyes as yet, just sitting there gathering my thoughts.

I thought that I may, it was possible, be opening my eyes and sitting on the couch in my parent’s apartment, and it was 1957 and I was in the 10th grade. Now I know this is impossible, and it sounds like the plot of some really bad movies, but for a brief second I thought I’d dreamed it all!

The next thought was, before I’d opened my eyes, if it were true and I was 15 years old, would I do the same things, or now that I knew the outcome, would I change it and make life different. I knew that if I changed it, I would not have my children. I may end up with kids; they would not be the ones I have, as they would not have existed.

I knew I’d be rich, as I knew what to do to make that happen. But in doing this I would already have changed my life.

Would I bother to go to school, even art school, or would I choose to do something else or even nothing at all. I already knew enough stuff to get by anywhere; I would just have to hang around long enough to be of age, which was probably 21 at that time.

All this really happened, and I reluctantly opened my eyes and clearly I was home and it was now and nothing had changed except I’d slept for an hour.

It has been bothering me all day however, trying to figure out what I would do. My wife, who I dearly love, would have been born in 1957, so there was no way for me to go find her as kidnapping babies was frowned upon even back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment