Friday, May 1, 2009

My reputation precedes me.....


It’s our 22nd anniversary today and as we decided not to exchange gifts because of the expense of our Diana Krall concert tickets (a few days ago), I knew we would be doing something, and I was not going to be the one with no gift ready.

Just as I suspected, there was a gift for me this morning, and I had gifts ready. Because I wanted to get something more than a gift card, just because it shows some more thought than a gift card alone would show, I bought two tops at Tommy Hilfiger. They were my style choice, and in fact were not my wife’s taste. We will exchange them today, but at least I tried.

This was not a problem, and it was a sweet gesture. However, returning them caused the problem, mine for sure, because I guess my reputation precedes me.

The question was, at first, “Where did these come from?”. They were two Tommy Hilfiger tops in a Tommy Hilfiger gift bag, duh? Because she expected an answer like Winners, Wal-Mart, whatever, I said, “Tommy Hilfiger”.

She said, “You went all the way to Niagara Falls?”, the home of a Tommy Hilfiger off-retail store. “Of course not, they are from the Tommy Hilfiger store!”

It has become clear to me that no one in my family, especially my wife, will accept the notion that I would buy something retail!

(They were, of course, on sale.)

1 comment:

  1. This is a hero's gesture. I continue to learn from you, my mentor. Our anniversary was last January--i can't remember if either of us remembered (though I think Leanne remarked, as we were strolling the aisles of the NAMM show, that this was the best way to spend an anniversary--looking at music equipment). It's a little early, but there's a sale on downtown. I think I'll drop down there later and have something ready for the next important occasion that sneaks up on me.

    ReplyDelete