Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not the sofa again!






Many years ago when I acquired the sofa as explained in this blog on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 (go back and read it if you missed it) I also received (mostly purchased) a few other items. There was a secretary next to the laundry sink, which had that kind of dark brown paint/varnish stain on it, the vogue of the day in the mid 19th century and it had held washing powders on the top of it when I found it in the laundry room of the late minister’s home. It was also, like the sofa, not included in the inventory of estate treasures, and was available for purchase for $25. SOLD!

I cleaned it up a bit (I know, I ruined its residual value by removing most of the brown varnish stain), but it doesn’t have that much residual value anyway so I didn’t lose much. It was hand made, I believe, although it was never fine furniture, but more of a country piece. It is a 19th Century American Primitive Secretary.

It’s kicked around my houses for all these years and never had a good home. Right now it’s in the studio taking up space and holding nothing much.

One day, with nothing to do, I noticed that there was ink stained over and scratched out on the inside back. I could tell that there had been some writing which was scratched out. I took a strong light and brought it over to the wood and tried to decipher it . Here is my best interpretation of what it says:

Sandra Gasta WC County MD (note: This could be Wicomico County Maryland)

Tuesday about dinner time

August 16, 1865

Whatever this young woman was going to write, she was stopped in mid sentence and quickly scratched out her message.

No comments:

Post a Comment