Friday, May 29, 2009

You gotta' shop around...


It comes to mind, that in my life, the things (courses, programs etc.) that were most meaningful to my day to day existence, beyond basic English (reading, writing) and basic math (checkbooks, taxes, discounts) were my shop classes. Although at the time they seemed a bit lame, the electricity, wood and metal shops I took in junior and senior high keep coming back to me as I wander through the days. Although the History and Science people tried to let me know how important they were, in my life, they weren’t. I know that for some; academics, scientists, historians etc. it is important stuff, and I can’t deny their importance to planetary development, in my life the simple basic stuff became important.

Even though I read balance sheets, plan budgets and those things, but I still owe a debt of gratitude to teachers, probably long gone, whose names I can’t remember, for what they’ve given me.

So I drink a toast (metaphorically) to those long gone shop teachers (Mr. Shaverick at Garrison Jr. High, I think) who thanklessly (because Jewish boys didn’t become sheet metal or wood workers) did their job of educating me in the ways of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment