Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Gift Fror J.C.







In my “Messages from Harry” from last Sunday, we both talk about J.C., our Business Manager in Detroit. We both fondly remember him, not for his managerial skills but for his insane work ethic. He was always trying to catch someone trying to fool him or do something illegal.

It took us a while to convince him that we should close on Fridays in the summer because no one ever took a Friday class in the summer, so it was a waste of time to run them. We were open because of about eight employees spread between two buildings. This didn’t matter to him until he realized that we were air conditioning more than 200,000 square feet of space for these people. He did the math using our electric bills and realized the savings. However, he could not reconcile this until I added extra hours on the Monday through Thursdays so that the employees put in the time, that way the savings were real for him. He never let me forget we all received about one free half hours pay each summer week because I couldn’t squeeze in all the hours.

This story, however, is about my gift to J.C.

One morning in the late spring, I was walking in to work. As I passed near the front entrance, I looked down and saw a plant growing through a sidewalk crack leading into our building. I leaned down, gave close inspection, reached out and removed the plant and brought it into the office. I took a small paper cup, put in a little water, and carefully placed the plant into it and brought it into J.C.’s office.

His eyes widened, his face became red and I handed Jim and bright, new marijuana plant as a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment