Monday, May 4, 2009

When in doubt, always end with a Beatles tune.









This morning, after some concerns I had about our camera, I went to my computer and uploaded the photos from the card using two different photo programs to see if it was a software problem. It was not.

My next step was to get a new Memory Stick Pro Duo card from the shelf and try shooting with the new one to see if it was a media problem. Both girls had used our camera and had picture problems (miss matched parts, color changes etc.). I put the new card in and went outside and shot a dozen photos, came in and uploaded and lo and behold, it was a media problem. There was something wrong with the card.

Happily I waited for the family to arrive downstairs and told them it was only a media problem, the camera was fine. We didn’t have to get another one or, God forbid, try and have one fixed.

I was blasted by everyone! “What is a media problem? What is media? We thought media was the newspaper or TV!”

I tried to rationally explain the use of the term media to describe anything that held information; CD’s, DVD’s, photo cards, newspaper and TV as well, I guess.

My daughter said,” You’re just trying to sound smart!” This has become the anti intellectual rant every time I use a word of more than two syllables.

When I’m in a store and looking for recordable DVD’s I look around for the MEDIA sign. It’s a normal use of a word today. Clearly, not in my house!

So, at the risk of sounding smart, I am delighted to tell you all that it was a media problem. I still don’t know why this happened, but at least one of those cards came directly from an extreme discount guy in Singapore and that may be the culprit, but I’m not telling the family because we’ll have the other rant about cheap, Chinese knockoffs.

It is now hours later and I’ve been to the camera store and solved the problem. It’s not a software problem, it’s not a media problem, it’s not a camera problem; it’s a computer problem. The Memory Stick Pro slot on the front of my computer has failed! I uploaded the photos from a USB port and they’re fine. The image you see is from the first set directly inputted from the card.

(The music comes up) And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make……..

1 comment:

  1. How cruel a jeer is that--"You're just trying to sound smart!" Kids--can't live with them, can't live without'em. Hey, wait--yes you can. Then you can use words with as many syllables as you want, and let me know what they are for my stockpile.

    ReplyDelete