Friday, December 10, 2010

Technology Blues


I had a problem with my old Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55 Digital Camera. I needed to take a photo in the morning and it said “access” on the screen and then, restart the camera, but then nothing would happen and I would have to turn it off again.


I told my wife and said I was going to toss it out. It was four years old and like most technology, beyond its life span. She wanted me to take it to a camera store but I was reluctant as it will cost more than it’s worth to fix it and I can get a new model for less. Besides, we each have a work camera at our disposal all the time anyway besides cameras in our cell phones.

I took it to work and looked ion the internet. I Googled Sony DSC-W55 problems and found the following:

Sony DSC-W55 problems...

It says access in the back window: Access and then restart..

Jan 02, 2008

I have a problem with my Sony DSC-W55 camera. It says access and then restart the camera but then nothing happen and turn off again...

What is going on?? Please, help

2 years ago

same problem how do you fix it

2 years ago

have the same problem called SONY - sending it in for warranty work. feel hopeless - will buy a cannon

2 years ago

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND I TRIED EVERYTHING AND IT DONT WORK!! :)

2 years ago

Unbelievable, but true: smack your DSC-W55 the moment you turn the on power. The lens will open. After repeating this procedure a couple of times, the problem is fixed and your lens will open when you want it to.

But still. Smacking?!

2 years ago

I have the same problems as posted with my Sony Cybershot 6.0. I buy Canon now, although every other electronic in my house is Sony LOL. Anyway, in addition to the other problems listed I get the "turn off/on message while the camera is actually ready to take a pic. LOL again.

Best Solution:

Just kick it few times on the left side of the camera and the problem will be gone. Same thing happened to me and it worked.

Was this helpful?

4 people thought this was helpful

Best Solution

I kicked it few times on the left side of the camera and the problem was solved. That was the solution.

Solution

2 years ago

I have this camera too and if you smack it on the left side of the camera the problem is fixed.

You may need to do it a couple times but eventually it goes away

Solution

3 years ago

1.turn the unit on and switch to play mode(picture preview mode)

2.press the menu button

3. select setup

4. inside setup and search for setup 1 (option with a toolbox icon with a number at the bottom.)

5. inside setup1, pls select initialize and reply with OK to every prompt(using the center button)

6.if successful(you'll get clock settings)

7.set the date and time then try the camera again.

8. if it prompts you to turn the power off and on again.... turn off the unit, remove the battery for 1 min and press and hold the power button at the same time.

if this does not work.... call sony cust service 1800-222-7669

After reading all this I decided to follow the course of least resistance and I smacked the camera against my desk several times on its left side!


All was repaired and it works fine!


It seems that modern technology has some common qualities with the former non technological world. If it doesn’t work well, smack it on the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment