Monday, December 13, 2010

My 500th post! A problem with signage.


This is my 500th post! This is a classic dumb move for me! This is so funny that even though I am the idiot I’m laughing at, it still makes me laugh!


We are renovating our school. We are renovating our 1836 factory building and doing a

$5 million makeover with the help of government infrastructure money and we’re very excited!

In order to make these moves it became obvious to us that we had to move out of the building so the contractors could move ahead. We found 9 temporary locations for our classes (at least half of the normal winter session) and one location for our offices.

After moving to our new temporary offices in an 1860 house in Ancaster, Ontario, I realized we needed some quick signage so we could let passersbys and those looking for us, to find us. I called in our sign order to our usual sign guy.

He said, during the conversation, “Don’t you think we should put in your phone number?” I laughed, and said, “Of course and our web site as well. They don’t need the address, because to read these signs, you have to be standing in front of the building.” He asked, “What’s your phone number?” I gave him my phone number and web site and forgot about it until a few days later when someone from my office picked up the signs. She said to me, “Arthur, I thought we kept our old phone number, didn’t we?”

“Of course”, I replied, “it’s the same”.

“No it’s not”, she said, and I walked down the stairs to the first floor to see the new signs.

And there the three signs were, each one with my phone number on them! The problem was it was my home phone number, not the schools!

(The number you see on the sign has been altered, I decided not to publish my home number through this blog.)

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you for posting such a nice Blog.The point of sale are normally covered with branding for the product they are trying to sell, and are made out of cardboard or foamboard, and/or a covering over a plastic.

    ReplyDelete