Thursday, July 9, 2009

WWRD - What Would Rena Do?


OK, this is a play on WWJD, another religious insanity, but at least in WWJD (What would Jesus do?) there are some guidelines, a.k.a. the New Testament.

In WWRD, my late mother is instilled with a new voice, usually reserved for my wife (who has no name I can use here). My wife tells me what my mother would have said in any given situation, all based on her version of my mother’s words.

What is it with people who all want to give voice to dead relatives? This whole channeling nonsense is beyond me.

Since our cousin Mary Jane passed away, I have been told of all the things Mary Jane would have said in a variety of situations. All of these inventions, while all possible, are also just as impossible, given the particulars.

“Nice guess honey”, I stammer, “Maybe she would have said something completely the opposite!” I know I’m just being an agitator on this, but it bugs me!

I think we should let the dead lie in peace, and wait until they really have something to say. When that happens, I’ll be a believer! My wife may be correct, but on the other hand she may be just as wrong.

Do I think about what my mother would have wanted me to do in any situation, sure!
Do I hear her, no!
Do I see her, not usually; however, there was a time…

But that’s another story…..

No comments:

Post a Comment