Sunday, July 26, 2009

As requested.....




As requested, I sent this letter to the high school guidance office in early, 2008. This was in addition to signing the proper forms in the proper places.

February 28, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

My daughter has my permission to drop her period two class, Chemistry (SCH3U1), and replace it with period two Guitar (AMG201).

As a talented young musician, who plays several instruments, she should have no difficulty catching up with the class even this late in the term.

Thank you for your help,


Arthur E. Greenblatt

In a day or two I received a phone call from the guidance office, explaining that my daughter was there as they were calling, and informing me that if she went along with this change, my daughter would never be able to be an engineer!

I waited for the punch line, but none was forthcoming.

“I never expected her to be an engineer”, I replied, “and it would seem to me that if she didn’t have her 11th grade Chemistry, there was probably some way in the world that some institution would let her enroll in engineering anyway”.

This fell on deaf ears.

I started with the “do you knows” and listed my daughter’s musical accomplishments. I explained that her brother was a lawyer and also was a lead guitarist in a large rock band. The guidance councilor was surprised and did explain that it was their duty to explain to parents the consequences of such a move.

I asked if someone dropped guitar and took chemistry, did they call the parents and tell them their child would never be able to be a musician?

My question was unanswered and my daughter was allowed to take guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment