Friday, July 17, 2009

Isamu Noguchi





In the early 80’s, the Archives of American Art began to add video to their collected memories, and went from audio tapes of talks with artists to videos. Dennis Barrie, then head of the Detroit office, was involved with doing several of them, one being Louise Nevelson and the other, Isamu Noguchi. We had the equipment and the facility to do these, so we worked along with Dennis, to make these things happen.

Isamu Noguchi was to be in town to receive a medal from the City of Detroit for his fountain at Hart Plaza. The video interview was to be shot at school, in the morning, in advance of the official ceremony.

We were set up and Mr. Noguchi arrived, and the interview went off very smoothly. I put a blackboard and chalk behind him in case he wanted to make any drawings to explain anything. I was prepared to whisk it away and frame it, but alas, no such luck.

When the interview was over, it was explained to him that he could get to go on a tour of the art school in advance of the ceremony.

The interview went on longer than expected, and his handlers were pushing for a quick get away. They said, “Mr. Noguchi, the Mayor is waiting!”, and he said, “He’ll have to wait, I’m going on a walk with the Dean!”’

My day (oh hell, my year) was made! Off we went around the school. Students who recognized the visitor were so respectful, one of them even bowed! Everyone was thrilled about out visiting friend.

When it was over he thanked me for the tour, wished us good luck, and was whisked out of the door to a waiting Mayor and a ceremony.

I never got my framed blackboard, but many of us have wonderful memories.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Do you know if the video recording is available for viewing? I've seen only text and still images on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it was done with a bit of focus on Hart Plaza. I did see the Nevelson one, but never saw this completed.

    ReplyDelete