Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Speaker Saga


A few years ago I wrote:

My girls complained that my computer speakers have cut out on the right side. Since they were using my computer because they don’t really like theirs (poor little rich girl syndrome), they want it fixed. I didn’t realize this was happening so I went to investigate.

The right speaker was out, and the connection on the sub-woofer was loose, causing me to blame them for using the sub as a footstool and breaking the connectors.
I fooled with this for a while, moving it all out of the wire jungle and to the front where I could manipulate the connectors, to no avail.

I began to look at web sites for new ones.

My old speakers are Microsoft 80’s, which in 1999 cost me $279. The computer is long since dead, but the speakers have survived. I wanted good new ones, although I know technology has changed and good stuff can cost less. I don’t use the computer as a primary music player, so it doesn’t matter that much to me.

I called my computer guy and asked if he could fix the old ones, but he can’t, although he gave me the name of an electric repair place that could. He also said he had great ones for under $50. Since repairs would never be less than $50, I went to see them. Unfortunately, they were $50 speakers. I had listened to much better at Staples for about $150, although I liked the ones I had better.

I came home defeated, and went to the computer to unhook the speakers and put them in the car for the trip to the repair place. While on the computer, I opened up the control panel and went to sound devices. In the advanced part they had controls. It turns out that somehow, through electrical failure (blackout) or children failure, the balance had moved left. I moved the curser to the middle and everything is fine again.

I am happy, and I’m delighted to have saved the money. I am irritated at myself for not doing the simple thing first. In this world where everything breaks before it’s time and everything is replaced rather than fixed, I was willing to give up. I had thrown away a DVD player and a toaster oven both in the last two weeks, both of which were relatively new but made no sense to repair. This was just the third in a row. Thankfully I looked further.

No comments:

Post a Comment