Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Halloween...I think


In 1992 I was looking for work. We were living in Gloucester, Massachusetts in a wonderful rental home, having quickly sold our own house.

It was Halloween, we were invited to a party at one of my daughter’s friends houses, and we all needed costumes, something I abhor. However, in order to maintain peace, and to make myself part of the family fun, I agreed to come up with a costume.

My wife decided to go as a witch, and my daughter, still a baby, was to be a Japanese Geisha sort of person, as she was wearing (under her coat) an outfit I had purchased for her in Niigata, Japan in 1991.

After much consideration, I decided to go as “A Man with a Job”. This would be a simple costume (as you can see), just a suit and tie kind of thing and it was self deprecating humor, as I was a man looking for a job with great gusto!

We arrived at the house, and while I had met the mother, the father, who was described to be as maybe a bit “sketchy”, was an unknown entity.

I appeared with my briefcase in hand, and we were sort of stopped at the door. The father looked at me wearily, and asked if he could help me. I said I was the father of this group (I introduced myself) and he relaxed a bit.

He told me he though perhaps I was a process server or maybe the police. I assured him I was just another parent in a costume. We were allowed in and the photo you see was then taken.

I don’t know, but I can’t remember any time in my life assuming a stranger at the door was the law!

No comments:

Post a Comment