Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day Story from my Aunt Hilda (601st post)



My Mother's family. L to R, row 1, my Grandparents. Row 2, my Aunt, my Uncle and my Mother. (circa 1957)

I called to wish my Aunt a Happy Mothers Day, as she is the closest relative I have left. She was my mother’s younger sister and half raised me anyway.

She has been reading this blog and noticed that my girls are always giving me grief about everything. She noted that my boys would never do that and I agreed. She told me my Grandmother always said,”You should have boys!”

She said that when she gave birth to her second child, her daughter, my Grandmother had everyone convinced that it would be a boy. My Grandmother was preparing gefilte fish for the briss (ritual circumcision) that was sure to come

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Gefilte fish (from the Yiddish and German: Gefüllter Fisch "stuffed fish") (Yiddish: געפֿילטע פֿיש, Hebrew: דגים ממולאים‎ dagim memula'im, literally "filled fish") is a poached fish mince stuffed into the fish skin.


Everyone believed her because she was seldom wrong.

When my cousin Marge was born, my Aunt was in disbelief. She asked the Doctor if he were sure of the sex, the Doctor said, “We have ways of telling…..”

No comments:

Post a Comment