Wednesday, May 25, 2011

and then my pants fell off…..

Starting with the punch line is a difficult way to write but it catches your attention right up front.

On May 16 I wrote “I’m putting my foot down” and if you read this you’ll understand about the large pieces of concrete I now have. If you also read the April 19 post about my being “Clumsy”, plus “Clumsy, Part 2”, you’ll know about my weak right arm.

Put these two together and here’s what happened on Monday.

Monday was a holiday in Canada, Victoria Day. We celebrate a dead Queen’s birthday by not working, a good policy! I had some large mounds of concrete to get rid of and I had a perfect dumpster lined up to dump it in. All I had to do was transfer the concrete to my car and get it to the dumpster.

I opened the rear hatch of my car, which was parked in the driveway. It was, of course, a quiet day with some traffic coming by but not bad. I went through the garage to the side yard where the concrete was lying in a wheel barrow, but because the tire was flat on the wheel barrow because of the weight of the concrete, I was going to carry the pieces. I placed an old cardboard box in the car so the concrete would not leave me residue. Being weak in the right hand, I lifted the largest piece in my left hand, a less weighty piece in my right and hurried with short choppy steps toward the open car hatch. These were very heavy and I didn’t want to lose them on the way, so I rushed, knowing the problem was at hand, as I could feel it coming!

I made it to the hatch and deposited the concrete in the box while simultaneously; my pants fell down around my ankles!

The traffic, though slower than usual, kept coming, and I could hardly stop laughing long enough to grab my pants and pull the up. And yes mother, I was wearing clean underwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment