Sunday, February 20, 2011

Valentines Day dinner, a week late


I know, it’s a week late, but last week the restaurants were very crowded and last night was a great night to go. Did I buy roses on the 15th? No, I wasn’t that bad, and it wasn’t, as you can see, a wait for better prices, it was really about a good night to go. I did buy after Valentines Day candy (50% off) for the women of my office (this was not sexist; there are no other men in my office).


First of all, there were three of us, my wife, my daughter and me. My daughter wouldn’t have gone with us if she thought she would stand out in any way, except because she was beautiful. She took a bold move by just going, and I doubt she would have done this except it was one of her favorite restaurants, and she is, as we all are, a foodie.

We spent the day doing various things at home mostly, but for sure the never ending Food Channel is the background noise of most of our home lives. It’s usually playing out there even if no one is watching. My mother used to leave the TV on all the time just for the background noise.

My daughter had already gone on line to view the menu for the day, or a sample menu, and she and my wife were discussing what they would have. The wind was blowing and it was so cold that I decided to drive them up to the door and I’d walk from the parking lot but I gave up that idea when I saw valet parking. The “Queen Mary” (my car) was driven by another but she’ll just have to get over it. Here was one parking lot where there were better cars to steal than even mine so I felt fine leaving her alone.

You can see what we had. Mine was the more regular stuff, Caesar salad, steak with creamy garlic mashed potatoes and roasted root vegetables and the sticky toffee pudding, a dessert to die for. As you can see, if we didn’t drink dinner could almost be considered reasonable. But, what would the occasion be if we didn’t drink. Since Canadian drinks are small by US standards, driving home is not a problem after several hours of sitting, the three minute or so drive home was uneventful.

I almost forgot to mention, my daughter was too embarrassed for me to ask for a "doggy bag", which was really for Max, the doggy, so she agreed that I could ask for it when she was in the washroom. However, when we got home with the piece of my steak that was left over, she went running for Max to give it to him immediately!

SNL replayed the show with Paul McCartney. I said I wanted to see him sing and I’d be right up. It was weird because he wasn’t singing and someone I didn’t recognize was on. I didn’t understand until I looked at the clock and saw it was 2:00 a.m.! I had been sleeping in the chair for three hours!

We had a really nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment