Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Today would have been my mother's 100th birthday


Today, February 8, 2011, would have been my mothers 100th birthday! I am pleased to celebrate this day, as has some of my family, with inane little bits that symbolize her life to us in strange but wonderful ways.


On the days my mother received her Social Security check, she would declare it an “Amy Joy Day”, named after a chain of US doughnut shops. She would stop by Amy Joy and buy doughnuts and bring them to my sons, her grandchildren. Today, many of us went to their local doughnut shop, Dunkin’ Doughnut and Tim Horton’s, and purchased doughnuts in memory of Grandma Rena We made it an “Amy Joy Day”!

My oldest son drove to the doughnut store, missed a turn and had to come back making three right turns. My mother drove only making right turns. She would plan out her route so she never had to turn left.


She loved us all, her grandsons and her later granddaughters, and I spoke with her very day, no matter where I was, and sometimes several times a day. She warned me to stop calling her because one day she would pass and I would be left with an empty feeling, wanting to call. I kidded her about it of course, but she was right. Much as she had done with her mother, I called and when there was no one to call there was a big hole in my day. I still, when the times call for it, start to reach for the phone.

Her recipe blog, http://renascookbook.blogspot.com/ is homage to her. After a number of recent posts from this blog relating to food, I go into the whole story and include lots of photos.


Enjoy it all.

Rena, we all miss you. She has been gone since 1997 and hardly a day goes by when we don’t refer to her and her memory in some way.

Sleep easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment