Friday, February 4, 2011

Cocktail Party Blues


We were invited to a lovely cocktail party last evening at one of our nicest local restaurants. It was given by an architectural firm we do business with, and was attended by clients and vendors. It was several hours in length, and we stayed about an hour, post work.


Before we went, I chose to change, as jeans and a sweater did not seem appropriate for this event. Now, being an old guy, I thought carefully about what to wear. I decided to put on a tie, even though it’s not normal for me to wear one anymore. After years of wearing a tie every day, I gave it up at the turn of the century (this one).

I chose dark slacks, a dark blue shirt, my mildly checked sport coat and a rust colored wool tie plus loafers. I decided for fun to wear a tie bar, figuring someone would notice my unusual choice and ask about it. It’s a "Man on the Moon" commemorative tie bar I found in a box of old GI Joe’s my kids received in the early 1970’s from a friend. I just call it my GI Joe tie bar.

I was shocked. No one asked, of course, about my conversation piece, but more over, the world has changed. I was the only person wearing a tie! Of the more than 60 or 70 people I encountered, I was it! Maybe one escaped my checking, but I felt like I had a neon Old Guy sign around my neck! I was not the oldest there by any means, it’s just times have changed so much that coats and ties are definitely not the rule anymore, and I never noticed!

Don’t get me started on everyone else drinking wine while I stood there with a gin martini!

No comments:

Post a Comment