Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The $300 Night Light (The First Post repeated, February 21, 2009)


As you know by now if you've come from Facebook, this is the first day of my third year with this blog, and this is the 553rd post. I decided to go back and publish the first one all over again, even though you still can see it on line. Most people don't go into the archives, at least they didn't until I started posting the most popular ones on the side, and the first one, the Vagisil one went "viral",  at least for me, with over 1300 views! So here's the first story, and I hope there are many more to come.

We have an over the range microwave oven, which has a fan and a light in the bottom of it. This is a Jenn-Air which was about $600, and is about 3 or 4 years old. (OK, I paid $400, and it was an out-of-date model!)


I replaced a bulb in the bottom portion, used to light the range below it and it becomes a night light. I twisted the bulb the wrong way because it’s in a backwards position and it came apart in my hand. This caused a big bang, and a flash and no more light working.

I checked around and there was no separate fuse. I used a meter and there was no electricity. I gave up.

My wife wanted it fixed, and we found a guy who was willing to come out and look, as most appliance repair places will not bother with microwaves.

The visit, with tax, was $77. I fried the board, and to replace it will be $179 plus $30 labor. My wife wants her light. The oven is still good and a new one (of the same brand and size) is $600.

I know I can get a new one of another brand for about $300, but it didn't work for her.

I have now ordered the $300 night light!

No comments:

Post a Comment