Thursday, April 15, 2010

Some post aution thoughts...

A few little auction related stories come to mind, it still so close to the event.

A man bought “bread for a year”, 54 coupons for $2.50 off of a loaf of bread, valued at $150. He got home and eventually multiplied $2.50 times 54 coupons and discovered it was only worth $135. He called to complain! We are getting him additional coupons to make up the difference!

Two ladies were walking by me on Friday afternoon and one says to the other, “I saw just as good a piece at Home Sense but it had a small flaw in it! It’s hard for me to imagine someone comparing a printed reproduction of something to any original work of art.

As we neared the end of the evening, my wife asked me if I wanted to increase my bid on an item and I said yes, go to $200. A friend who was with me asked why I would do that and I told him what it was and what I knew that made me want it. He went in an outbid my wife!

Since the auction publicity has been out, I have been offered some amazing art works, which people forget about until they see the publicity and remember they have something they want to dispose of. Usually, they want me to take their piece the day after the auction is up. Sorry, just not possible!

I have been offered a collection of art, jewelry and antiques that’s been sitting in storage for 10 years, as it was left to the man by an Aunt. Another woman has a large number of art works she purchased in 1986, and they’ve been in a crawl space for many years.

We almost never have problems with works of art trying to be returned, except for small damages every now and then, but non-art items are a pain in the butt!

A woman “purchased” dinner with the restaurant critic and was never satisfied with his restaurant choices, and we finally gave her the money back so she would just go away!

More people bid on expensive pieces than bid on lower priced ones. Therefore, often the “bargains” come in the lower priced items.

Lots of people do research these days on art items due to the internet. Most pieces go for close to or slightly over their actual value due to the research.

Desire is still the key element. We all love to see auction bidding wars! I love them, however, do not love being in them. My head goes into some other place. There is some sort of sexual type rush! The blood in my ears rushes and I get “into the zone”. You know you are in trouble when you win and everyone applauds!

No comments:

Post a Comment