Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I can't believe it, a Robert Mitchum story!

Years ago, in the early 60’s, my friend Marty was stationed on an air force base in Dover, DE. He and his wife lived there for a few years, and this is really his story, but I remember it and if either one of them reads it here, they may correct me on the details.

Robert Mitchum lived on a ranch, I think, somewhere in the area. His wife was from Delaware which may explain why he was in the area. If you’re too young to remember Robert Mitchum, here’s the story: (from Wiktopedia)

Robert Charles Durman Mitchum (August 6, 1917 – July 1, 1997) was an American film actor, author, composer and singer. Mitchum is largely remembered for his starring roles in several major works of the film noir style, and is considered a forerunner of the anti-heroes prevalent in film during the 1950s and 1960s.

My friend’s wife had met a guy from Mitchum’s entourage, and he was telling her about the possibilities of an acting career. She was just perfect for acting roles, he explained. This began to bother my friend who perhaps saw an ulterior motive to these shenanigans.


A dramatic meeting took place in a local restaurant, with my friend and his wife eating dinner and looking over to see Robert Mitchum’s party occupying a large table. My friend, seeing an opportunity, walks over and confronts Mitchum about his friend offering his wife roles in a picture.

Mitchum smiles, looks at my friend and says, “Looks like someone is trying to f**k your wife!”

No comments:

Post a Comment