Sunday, April 18, 2010

A little more about the auction...

Every year I get to open the auction.

What I do is to introduce the politician of the day, usually it’s our City Councilor, Russ Powers, and he welcomes everyone to the school and the auction. Russ is quick, because he knows, as we all do, that no one came here for the speeches.

Next, I introduce the current Board Chair who gives greetings and knows too well that no one wants to hear a speech.

Then I give it a shot, and usually try and be a bit funny, tell a little more about the auction and I introduce the Auction Coordinator, usually Heather, our Director of Advancement. Heather thanks our volunteers and our sponsors, and than she introduces our auctioneer, and the live auction event starts.

We try to keep “speechifying’” (a word derived from the Beverly Hillbillies) down to about ten minutes, if we can.

For the last two years, as many of you know from this blog, we have had “mystery pieces”. These pieces have taken special handling, and I have been asked both times to come back and explain the piece. The first time we did it in 2009, I was surprised as the auctioneer had to get to the bathroom, and used the idea to get me up there and get him out of the room, with a moderate amount of confusion. This year we planned it and he didn’t have to leave the room. You don’t want to lose momentum in an auction crowd.

As you all know by now, I love this event! I developed the “mystery piece” idea a few years ago, and now look forward to finding something that will fill the bill. I have been accused of manufacturing the items, and I have thought about it, but in reality, the real mysteries of life are out there and no fraud should need to be involved.

I am working on a lead for one for next year already.

No comments:

Post a Comment