Saturday, January 2, 2010

Vegetarian Chili


I was at a meeting on the west coast many years ago at a very well known U.S. art school, and at the end of the morning session it was suggested that we go to the college cafeteria for lunch. Arrangements had been made for us to be given cafeteria privileges for the day instead of going out for and taking way too much time for lunch.

The Dean of the school suggested we should try the vegetarian chili, a local favorite. The cafeteria was run by a dear older woman who had been doing this for many years and her chili was a favorite on the campus. We all went in and were introduced to the cafeteria manager and she welcomed us.

I chose the recommended chili myself as it sounded good and healthy and had a salad and a bun to go along with it. I probably skipped the milk and had a diet coke as usual, but can’t remember that far back.

After my delicious lunch I went back to find the manager to thank her for her wonderful meal (it was) and tell her that while I loved the food, there was meat in the chili!

She laughed and said, “Of course there’s meat in the chili. How are you goin’ to make good chili without meat?”

I asked her, “What do you tell the kids?” She laughed and said, “I tell them that’s protein!”

No comments:

Post a Comment