Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me!


It’s my birthday and my wife is making a nice dinner with friends, and it’s a good thing. It’s hitting me a bit hard, but I’m still vertical and clear of head, so it can’t be that bad. I have not been this freaked out before, there’s something about 68 that’s just over the top for me.

I’ve thought about earlier birthdays, and the ones that stand out were my 12th, 30th, 40th, 50th 60th and 65. It starts with 12 when my parents had a dinner for me at home and we had hotdogs! I thought it was great, and I had a bunch of friends and I loved it.

30 was a surprise party and I went with my friend Marty to measure a funeral home, then out of business, because some soul wanted to open a restaurant in there, a clearly bad idea. We really went to measure and I did freak out, but it kept me out of the house for a while. I was really surprised and got an aquarium from my family.

My 40th I gave for myself, and told all invited guests that it was a surprise party for me. Only Harry Smallenburg didn’t get it and brought a gift for my wife, as I remember, because it made no sense to him for me to be giving a surprise for me. I have included a photo from that party in 1982. I received a Seiko “tank” watch from the family.

My 50th, which I have previously written about as a sort of ghost story because it took place at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, MA, was a party for all of us, my mother, my son Brian and myself and it included my other two sons as well. My daughter Rosie was home, but she was my 50th birthday present! I also got a Sega video game!

My 60th was for 65 people using my school for the party. We had a wonderful time and there was a magician and great fun. I was given a Martin Guitar by my family.

My 65th was quiet and several wonderful friends gave me a lovely dinner with great cake and it was sweet and thankfully there was not a big deal made, no over the hill event!

Tonight will be lovely and quiet (I hope) and is limited to 10 of us which is just fine. I have chosen to quiet all this stuff down as I become sensitive to it all. I have promised everyone at work that I will make a big, most inappropriate deal, over next year, with a 69th birthday bash.
The complete double entendre event is theoretically planned with renting a room at the YMCA, so we can have a “69 party, Lunch at the Y, a pants free event!” I am NOT really planning to do this it just seems like a great idea, and at my age and style, it seems like something I would say. If you don’t understand the implications, don’t worry. Find any perverted old guy and he’ll explain all this to you.

So, Happy Birthday to me! May I live to see many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment