Wednesday, January 27, 2010

John Updike's Third Rejection (of me!)

On March 11, in my John Updike memorial, I included two rejection post cards I had received asking him to be our (Montserrat College of Art) commencement speaker. I also wrote:

I will miss John Updike, he was important to me, for some unknown, or currently undefined reason, he was a great influence,

I think, but I’m not sure how.I related to his Rabbit books, the series of four, they seemed to speak to me.I read all of his novels, most of the stories, I think, and lots of other writings as I’d run across them.I had a conversation with him once, memorable to me, but just a conversation.

We met in line waiting to pay taxes at city hall in Beverly, MA. I told him a story about meeting my friend Ken Davids, a writer, in Beverly at the train station, and as Ken was coming up the stairs he said, “this looks like a John Updike kind of town”. I told him it was “The” John Updike town, as he lived here”. Updike laughed, and I was next, and paid my taxes.


I would write him a letter each year inviting him to speak at our graduation, and he would decline. Each time I saved his declining note, as they were a unique style. They were witty, typed on an old typewriter and corrected by John himself.




Yesterday, while cleaning out some old files, I ran into a lost, third letter. You can see it here. It is witty, typed on an old typewriter and a great memento.

No comments:

Post a Comment