Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mannequin in the Closet


Twice in my life I’ve been offered mannequins.

The first time was in Detroit where we were offered all the mannequins used in the filming of a “Collision Course”, starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita and shot at least partially in Detroit. I had these around for a long time and I think we eventually got rid of them, but I gave one away to my son.

There were black and white ones, actually black and white, not fake skin colors, and he took one of the black ones back to his fraternity house and got into hot water because he had a black mannequin, and there were perceived racial overtones. He had to dispose of it anyway. I guess this is the way of all mannequins.

The second mannequin story was the one I was offered here in Dundas, which is an old mannequin from Eaton’s, I believe, and sat (if it’s still here) in our still life cupboard. I picked it up nearby and brought it to school. I decided to put it in the still life cupboard, as it could be used by some inventive artist, as part of a class assignment.

Rose, our wonderful cleaner at the time, used to come into the school between four and five in the morning in order to be finished before school started. She had no idea this mannequin existed and walked into the still life cupboard early in the morning and was faced in the dim light with what looked like a scantily clad woman. She screamed, but the figure did not move!

Rose suggested to me later that morning that if I brought any more surprises into the school, that I should let her know in advance, as she can no longer take such a jolt to her system.

No comments:

Post a Comment