Monday, June 29, 2009

Art theft, break-ins and other weekend thoughts


Several years ago, on a cold Saturday night, about 9:30 p.m., (although I’d already fallen asleep watching Goldmember, but that’s another story) the phone rang. It was my old friend, ADT, letting me know we had a break in at school.

This usually happens every 15 months or so, but this was earlier in the evening than usual, thankfully. I arrived in about 10 or 15 minutes and met the police. They had gotten therein a very short time and posted policemen at three sides of the building, and could view all exits. We all waited for the canine unit.

They showed, two guys and a dog. I let them in, stood back, and waited. It took a lot of time as we were freezing outside, but eventually they came out. The perp was gone.

I went through the building and nothing was taken, as usual. There is little to take, and the motion detectors work real well and the potential thieves never take anything. My real fear is vandalism, as there is little to steal.

The computers are mostly old, and we do have back up. The only cash is in a 19th century safe, which would need dynamite to open if you could find it. You would be dissapointed with the little bit of cash we keep.

The perp broke two or three student sculptures crawling through a lower level window. He pried off the screen and molding and the window, much to my surprise, was open. They are all secured today.

Two hours later, after trying to raise fingerprints, I went home and watched Saturday Night Live, as I couldn’t sleep for a while.

In the 1980’s, in Detroit, when I had a break-in in my office, there were $60,000 worth of prints in a folio in my office. The thieves took an umbrella I had gotten for free from Aramis perfume!
(I just checked and I have told this umbrella theft from the office story three times in these 123 posts! My friends must be right, I am an old coot and have no idea what I'm saying or how many times I've said it!)
Art is not something to sell from the trunk of your car, down on the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment