Friday, February 3, 2012

My Boardwalk Empire

Another one I think I wrote but can’t find now that I try. So, OK, it’s my Boardwalk Empire revisited.

In the late 50’s a bunch of us had gone to Atlantic City for a week’s vacation. Vacation from what?

Who knew? We were on summer break from high school and Atlantic City seemed like a great idea.

I remember we had gone to dinner at some restaurant and it was expensive. We wanted to get extra drinks (lemonade or something) but they were lots of money so we didn’t get seconds.
We had gone into the games room of a nearby, high end hotel (the now defunct Traymore Hotel) and it was full of other teen agers playing pin ball machines etc. I was walking by the change machine which was being “played” by two local residents, when they managed to break into the machine and were busily scooping out quarters from the money slot.

My brain focused on the activity and without breaking stride I walked by and quickly removed the coin basket in the bottom of the machine as they struggled with the coin chute. I put it in my pocket and calling my “henchmen” to my side I walked as fast as possible through the crowd, past a rushing security guard aiming for the trouble makers, and exited out of the hotel door with my friends.

Off we went to the aforementioned restaurant and had a second food event, with two lemonades for all! Our ill-gotten gains squandered on food and drink. The restaurant didn’t mind being paid off in quarters, so we all had a wonderful time.
This has not led to a life of crime, albeit this is some sort of confession.


No comments:

Post a Comment