Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Disaster narrowly averted!


It wasn’t late, just after 8:00 p.m. and I was on the computer when the phone rang. “Arthur, I think I forgot to unplug a glue gun when I left the studio today!”

OK, what was I to do? The only close persons with a key and the ability to circumvent the security systems were out of the country. The two women who might help were one, not home, and the other, without a visible phone number. I had no car as our cars were commandeered by a daughter and a wife.

The instructor picked me up at home in about 10 minutes and off we went, on the wild goose chase. To do nothing risked a phone call from the fire department at midnight and a guilt filled sleep. To act only meant taking a ride to school and trying to see if she had unplugged the glue gun.

We determined it was not sitting on a hot pad or trivet, but placed on a piece of paper on a table. This was an accident waiting to happen.

We arrived in a few minutes with no smoke in sight and opened the doors, switched off the alarms and found that someone, either an assistant or the cleaner or the teacher herself had in fact unplugged the glue gun!

Disaster narrowly averted!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment