Friday, November 18, 2011

Phone Wars


My wife and I were sitting in a restaurant this afternoon eating lunch, when we both realized simultaneously that the two women to my right, sitting just a few feet away from us, were heavily engaged in phone messaging. Both women, in their mid-forties, were looking at their hands holding a Blackberry (the closer one) and an I-phone, the farther one and texting I guessed.
I leaned over and said, “Excuse me; I know this is the twenty-first century, but are you really talking to each other using your phones to text?”

There was a great deal of laughter (thankfully for Mr. Nosey) and a whole bagful of explanations. They were both on their phones alright, texting different people. One woman was from the US, and was wondering why, in this land of the Blackberry, she had to use Wi-Fi to text out although she could receive. The other was doing something else, and I really didn’t care except if they were texting each other I thought I had discovered a new phenomenon.

By the time we left my wife had given them our whole lineage as Americans, and as Canadians and I just wanted to leave.

1 comment:

  1. In reference to the last line.......you started the conversation Dear Arthur. xoxo

    ReplyDelete