Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Biggest Loser, Biggest Boozer


It’s the Friday night after Thanksgiving and we have gathered my wife, my youngest daughter, my mother-in-law and a group of friends in a restaurant in suburban New Jersey to celebrate the season. My friend, Jay Jacobs, one of the final four from Biggest Loser’s last season shows, was in attendance with his wife and son. His daughter who was on the show with him was away.

I had some fear about eating with the Biggest Loser, as I am always getting yelled at by my family for my overeating style and weight gain. Jay had gone from 400 pounds to 244 (I think) during the duration of the show, and I watched faithfully. Now, here I was having dinner with him and I was afraid he would eat the napkin and no matter what I had it would go badly for me with my family.

Jay does not drink very often if at all, so he didn’t drink although that wasn’t a surprise. I had a martini before I left for the restaurant, one at the restaurant and some wine with dinner. Compared to Jay and the others at the table, I was the biggest boozer. Hardly did I need a designated driver, but by comparison it didn’t look good.

I had a salad to start, a green one with vinaigrette, a non-issue. I had a scallop dinner with good stuff on the side and no fried stuff and no dessert. My family all had desert, and Jay ate well. I was delighted he had no particular eating hang ups and I did well. I had a coffee and we all went home after a two to three hour visit.

At the end of the evening he remained the biggest loser and I remained the biggest boozer but we all had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment