Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Phone Call


Not exactly the same phones pictured but a close relative.
I never read anything on the new phones I purchased; I just had a deal so I went for it. My basement phones (one regular cordless and one drone) were beginning to display problems by stopping the display on the call display feature. All I had was unreadable gibberish.

It says in the ad on the Source website (which is where I purchased it but not ever read it):
“When you are away from your handset, the Panasonic DECT 6.0 Plus conveniently announces the caller's name between rings courtesy of text-to-speech technology, so you don't have to rush over to answer the phone if the call is not important.”

With no knowledge of this feature, I sat at my desk and was using the computer when the phone rang. A disembodied voice suddenly said, “You have a call from Fortino’s”.(This is a supermarket found around Hamilton).

I jumped a few feet in the air as I was home alone and had no idea what the hell was happening.

I still had the phone box sitting next to my desk and hurriedly read the outside to discover my own computerized phone had been talking to me.

I am calm now, and just a minute ago the phone told me the Hamilton Lib-ar-y was calling. You can give it a voice but it still has trouble with pronounciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment