Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Les's Story Told

This is Les's public piece honoring Nikloa Tesla, at Niagara Falls, Canada.

My friend, Sculptor Les Drysdale, sent this to me as an email and he put it on his Facebook page. I am just copying his story because I love it and hope you will too:

Les said, "If I had a blog I'd write this".

Regarding a meeting I had in Niagara Falls, Canada this weekend. I love my GPS, but I'm guilty of blind faith in the power of technology everything else is human error.

So I did the total bonehead move of expecting the Holiday Inn that I punched into the GPS was indeed the correct one. The second time I passed the exit for Stanley Ave. I began to doubt my faith. I was confronted with and committed to huge line ups to cross the Queenston Lewiston Bridge to the US.

There were huge signs saying No U-turn. I had wished for punctuation in the sign preferring No, U-Turn. I was committed. I asked the guy directing traffic what to do. He said you'll have to sort it out with US customs. So armed with only a driver’s licence I had to enter the US. Fortunately, the officer guy believed me that I was an idiot. And asked only if I had relatives in the US then gave me the directions I needed to take back to Canada. I rolled up to Canada customs and handed the officer my driver’s licence. She responded with 'do you have any other proof of citizenship?’, I said no. She asked what was my profession and where was I going. I said sculptor, Holiday Inn. She responded ' cool' what are you doing at the Holiday Inn? I said meeting a guy about doing a sculpture. Looking at my driver’s licence and doing her computer thing she said' you're the guy that did the monument by the Falls', I said yes. She said you've satisfied me you are a citizen you can go. So I made the meeting 1/2 hr late and all went well.

Thank God for Public Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment