Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Old Explorer

In 1998, my wife was using my car (1994 Ford Explorer) and while she was closing the back end, a strut (that holds up the back end) broke off of the car. We repaired it at a body shop for $130.00

In July 1999 while camping with my son and his family, the other strut broke, and I had it repaired some time later for $130. Ford said it wasn’t their fault, but the body shop said I was the 5th one that month with the same repair.

Ford contacted me later on and said it is their fault (recall) and that I should go to the dealer to have it fixed. I went and they kept the car, declared it a manufacturers defect (they wanted the Ford body work money I guess) and wrote down the color. I was given a ride to work, and they would have picked me up and taken me home after work but I got a ride. I made an appointment for Monday to have it fixed.

On Saturday the body shop called and said they needed to see the car as the Ford paint number was the same for 4 different colors. I went down, and we looked at the colors, and found the right one.

When I went to pick up the car, they said it wasn’t ready and they gave me a fully loaded, new Dodge Durango. Sweet!

They kept the car to put on new pin stripes, but in the end they didn’t have them so they decided, rather then keep me in a rental forever, they would return the car, cleaned both inside and out, and that the body shop would call me when the pinstripes came in and they put them on while I waited. What a business!

This 6 year old car with 73,000 miles had just cost Ford about $4,000 (my guess) to put on a whole new back door, and then they reimbursed me for the money spent to fix it both times.

BTW, the same car was covered by the tire recall later on and I received 5 new tires to replace the old ones.

We took it off the road (picked up by the kidney foundation) in 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment