Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Simple Mind...


This is not my daughters costume, the photo is noted as to its origin.

I don’t even know how to start to explain this one, as it begins to detail my decline I guess. Not that I haven‘t been doing that anyway, but this one was bad!

We were sitting at the Hamilton Philharmonic concert last night, and in between pieces my wife said in passing how great it has been that our oldest daughter is being successful in her newly enrolled Costume Design class. This is not her major, but she was very interested in the area and was interviewed to be able to take the class which includes design and construction of period costume pieces to be used for produced plays in Montreal.

I thought about it and said how interesting that is, and how she would be horrified if I had suggested that she had an influence from the woman she never liked, who we car pooled with to elementary school. The woman was the head of the Costume Design program at the university and the kids never liked the car pooling nor the woman.

My wife looked at me in a funny way and asked what car pool I was talking about, and I quietly explained who it was and where she lived and how we developed the car pool. As I spoke I came to the realization that while all that was true, it took place in Baltimore in the 1970’s, and my wife was in high school at that time and clearly, our daughter never went to that school in that place and never really attended  school until Calgary….

Right story, wrong children….30 years earlier. None of those children were influenced to become costume designers.

No comments:

Post a Comment