Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Power of the Seat

In many of the institutions I headed, I coordinated the graduation ceremonies. I usually was in charge of, at the very least, reading out the names of the graduates. This is not a valued position, as you can make a great mistake and ruin a family’s day. However, I wanted to make sure the names were correct so I took over the job, with an early practice, asking most students to tell me their names as I looked at their printed file card which included all necessary information; name, major and honours etc.

I often screwed these up at rehearsal and there were amazing stories, most of which I already explained in this blog years ago. However, today I focused on the opportunity I had to control the assembled multitudes because I had “the power of the seat”.

As the audience sat, the faculty, staff and special guests would walk in and go to the stage, the graduates would follow and make to their seats, and all eyes were on me, l and everyone knew not to sit down until they saw me sit.

When I sat, having the ability to see that everyone had made it to their seats, everyone else sat. I had the “power of the seat”.

Last night we went to the Hamilton Philharmonic to see Beethoven’s Violin concerto and following the intermission, the Ninth Symphony. With about 250 people on stage for the Ninth, it was a packed house.

I have been having trouble with my knee lately, and although I’m finally off the cane, I still have some trouble, especially with stairs. After a beautiful Violin concerto, the audience was applauding and standing, and having an end seat, I decided to make it out to the lobby to get a Diet Coke before the throngs were released. I dashed out and was able to get down the stairs before everyone else so I could slowly make it and not be crushed by traffic.

I got out and to the bar, and no one followed. What I could not have known was that the violinist would play an unscheduled encore for a few minutes, so no one except me left the theatre.

There was a trio prepared to entertain in the second floor cafĂ©, and they, of course, had no idea either that there would be an encore. My best guess is that when I broke out between the doors during the loud applause, I became the signal for intermission. They were triggered into action by my drink purchase, and loudly started to play “The Entertainer”. It went on for a bit and could clearly be heard through the doors and into the main hall as a very sweet and quiet encore was progressing. Someone must have come out and hushed them, because in my confusion about why I was alone and why music was playing from above, the music stopped.

I believe, after thinking about it, that I must have had the “power of leaving my seat”.

No comments:

Post a Comment